The Chapel of the Holy Shroud
Royal Palace, Piazzetta Reale 1, Torino
1/15 f/4 1600 40mm
The Chapel of the Holy Shroud is a Baroque-style Roman Catholic chapel in Turin, designed by the architect Guarino Guarini and built at the end of the 17th century. The chapel was constructed to house the Shroud of Turin, a religious relic believed by many to be the burial shroud of Jesus of Nazareth. In 1997, the chapel was severely damaged by a massive fire. It took over 21 years, and €30 million in funding to repair and restore the chapel to its original splendour. In 2018, the chapel reopened to the public.